If you’re a girlie girl – or you know one – then you’ll appreciate the power of all things pink. So, why not give yourself or someone else a real treat and fill a hatbox with scented stargazer lilies, lilac-toned roses and hot pink nerines. It’s an arrangement sure to make someone’s day.
Which flowers to choose
- Roses – The sign of true love and available in the softest, most beautiful shades, roses really are utterly feminine.
- Lilies – If you’re looking to create a girlie interior scheme, then look no further than lilies, which look and smell amazing.
- Peonies – Slightly retro and providing a touch a faded glamour, the Peony is the perfect choice for a girlie girl.
- Centifolia – The best known of the old roses, Centifolias are feminine, pretty and perfect with peonies.
- Gerberas – Fun, flirty and irreverent, these flowers are brilliant as a single stem in a vase or as a huge bunch. They’ll add a girlie touch to any space.
How to achieve the look
- Trust your instincts – Everyone knows that many girls like pink, but few know that this may be down to evolution. While men went off to hunt and gather, girls needed to be able to spot ripe fruits and berries. Over time, this has led to the colour preference.
- Go vintage – If you’re looking to surprise a friend and give her a really girlie gift, then look out for a vintage jug at a car boot sale or in junk shops and fill it with wild flowers.
- Colour is the key – Pink is, of course, the girliest colour but any flower in a pastel shade will have a feminine feel. So do mix and match. Pale blues, lilacs, yellows and greens work particularly well.
Did you know?
- Although blue is traditionally a masculine colour, you can get some amazing, beautifully feminine pale blue flowers. The roses are particularly striking and would look lovely paired with other pastel-coloured roses.
- Carnations represent womanly love because it is said that the first one grew from Mary’s tears as she watched Jesus carry the cross.
- Lilies have a long history with femininity. They represent fertility and are often used in wedding bouquets because of this.