Zamioculcas zamifolia – pronounced ZAM-ee-oh-cool-kass.
It has strong, shiny elliptical leaves which are like tall, green feathers growing out of the pot, which give it a distinctly quirky appearance. The stalks are fleshy.
Aroid family – same as philodendron and spathiphyllum (peace lily).
- Easy to look after, it prefers to be too dry rather than too wet, so water sparingly.
- A sign of overwatering is if the lower leaves turn yellow.
- Feed once a month using weak solution during the growing period.
- Zamioculcas is very tolerant of different temperatures, prefers semi-shade but can take very low light levels.
- It performs well in bright light too but will then need watering more often.